Skip to main content

The Missing Piece




I
n the morning,
U laugh at my jokes
and it warms my heart
U are inviting and loving
U've found a way to center my spirit
when I was lost and confused
I look at you and I know you love me
U enjoy my touch, my company
U proudly stand by my side
I wish you no harm
I wish you all the love your heart desires

At night, in my heady ways
I think of you
As I make my list, you seem like perfection
and I can say I love you without
struggle
but my heart is confused
The puzzle is missing one piece
I look around
I check the box
the floor
the closet
what is missing
what makes my heart feel incomplete
when you seem so perfect
I feel committed to your love for me
hoping that's enough for me to
sustain
I close my eyes to any possiblities
of any other lover
Because you're the one
right?

In the afternoon
I think of where I am with you
and where I am without you
U are a part of me
I can't allow myself to hurt your heart
because u are so dear
I mediate on you
so that the missing piece
can fade away
hopefully
but it does not

In the noon hour
I realize that I need
more of something
I've yet to identify
I will find this piece in you
right?
This piece will manifest
in our conversations, jokes, and our
attraction
right?
I'm here,
right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE