Skip to main content

"relate to you that no longer exists..."

"Often people put you in a box, relate to a you that no longer exists, a you they may have met, seen, or heard about, rightly or wrongly, years back, a you that was trying to figure out who you are. But if those kinds of people insist on not seeing you now, smile, be polite, and keep it moving as far from them as you c...an. They are imprisoned by their own minds. Do not become an inmate in their prison."—KEVIN POWELL


I could easily attach this to the blog I wrote days ago.  Its as if Kevin was reading the blog or had a similar experience; nonetheless, these confirming words speak truth.  Its very important that we determine who we are, who we want to be. Others imposing their views on who I am is as a slow death for me.  I suffer.  I still have to learn how to eloquently move away without fuss or compliant and this is ok because I accept the me to be, the me in development, the me to come.  

I also wonder if doing community work helps to build patience and understanding that all people can change. In HIV prevention work, I do all I can NOT to box people into the labels the world has put on them.  Maybe, I just expect the same for me. 



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE