Skip to main content

Proud of the Women We've Become

My crew, with exception of one, all are hitting the big 40 this year and next year. We are an awesome crew of women, some married with children, single moms, single no kids....awesome.

The 40 Crew met in college with all of our dreams just ready to be fulfilled. All of us were focused even then. None of us were still trying to figure out our futures. We knew what we wanted to do.

Me and a girlfriend both had our children at the same time. We were 22 and 21 respectively. This didn't stop us. I admire Cynthia because she worked and went to school part-time after she had her son. It took her a few years to complete her undergrad but she busted her ass. She made sure her son had the BEST. She's completing law school and her son is headed to Harvard. Don't front on real motherhood. My sis. Real Woman.

Another friend, Yo, is my best friend. Yo is a single, brilliant woman that loves God and service. Our bond is really about how we strive in having a nonjudgmental attitude towards each other and the world. Yo has started organizations to focus on youth and literacy and helping faith-based organizations in nonprofit development. Yo has a way of always helping me see God's point of view without any condemnation. She is my sister. Real Woman.

The other Yo, has to be the most balanced person I know on the planet. Brilliant writer, publisher, wife and mother. She is the Crew's "common sense". She is practical and very loving. She's also has been very focused on making her dreams come true. Yo is calming and supportive. My sis. Real Woman.


These are the people in my life so I don't know any other way but to grind hard. I've always been around women AND men with focus and determination to fulfill their dreams. These women are beautiful, loving, and blessed. I believe because they all are so connected to God and their spirit, its never been a confusion of what they would become even when the road presented twists and turns. They pushed on. I push on. They check me. I check them. We definitely have an old school way of looking what needs to be done and getting it done. I know personally, I don't have the luxury to think about what is next cuz I'm already on the third and fourth step. We all can be proud of who we are and what is yet to come.

I know that one major flaw I have is that I can be hard on those floating through life with no passion for anything. If we all have a purpose, then you just haven't discovered your passion yet. Get to it. A person "floating" around me, throws me off. Its a flaw. Its also being judgmental. I'm working on it.

Nonetheless, these women always remind me of my GREATNESS. They lift me up. They remind me to not to settle for anything less in life.

Simply proud of these chicks....and me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE