Skip to main content

Inner Truth

"To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man. "
William Shakespeare


Quoted many times but really rarely practiced.

There are times when being true to yourself may hurt others and this is why some people will sacrifice their own will, passion, desires, etc. to not hurt someone else. But how are we harming ourselves?

I have to be true to myself. I have to be honest with my feelings and emotions. I have to let it be known where I stand. I can no longer sacrifice ME for the happiness of others for whatever reason. A happier Rhonda means a happier daughter, friend, co-worker, etc. What is the internal truth you won't release to the world? The one thing I do know is that God will bring all truth to light, one way or another. He gives us the opportunity to be honest with ourselves and others but when we refuse to be true to ourselves, it interrupts his plan for us. He must intervene and that rarely is a pretty thing. My former pastor use to say, "Just fix ya stuff cuz you don't want God fixin' it for ya!" I still giggle when I think about it. You can tell when God intervenes because its like a spotlight has been shone on the situation.

Truth is scary for folks. To honestly dig in and say, this is me, this is how I believe, this is what I feel is very difficult and culturally, we aren't really raised to be true to ourselves. We are raised to be selfish but that's not what this famous Shakespearean quote is about, really. Its simple about accepting the inner truth that is forever present and speaks to our souls. When we don't respond to that truth, we become bitter and angry. When we do respond, it means change must occur. Change.....can be horrifying. Change can mean never talking with a friend again. Change can mean changing a job. Change can mean moving. Change can mean ending a relationship when you know your heart really isn't in it. Yikes. Why not just stay in the current muck and mere? Its easier (we think) but harder on your spirit. And I TRULY believe that if you are in a situation that doesn't fit the plan, the situation will change whether you like it or not. That's just my own belief. Although, sometimes i think we get confused how God wants us to change...that's another blog though.

I'm true to Rhonda. I believe in it. It allows me a certain kind of spiritual freedom. I think it actually allows God to have a great Trust and Faith in me. It also allows me to love, be kind and cool with folks. I always hear that I'm so "cool". Why? I'm always me. I'm true to me. I know the good and bad and I'm not embarrassed to share the good and bad either. Believe me, I've grown into this freedom. I can talk about my bulimia, restlessness and otha stuff and it doesn't phase me. I think because folks aren't true to who they are, they always respond oddly to my honesty about myself. I LOVE ME but I know me. I'm TRUE to Rhon.

Be True to your Authentic self.

Watch your motives. Forgive and ask for forgiveness.

Make the tough decisions. We have to realize, many times we are so transparent. The world can see our inner struggles as much as we try to hide them and lie to ourselves. Then why lie?

God is Truth which means we are capable of being the essence of Truth. Be True.

Love yourself by being true to yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE