Skip to main content

The Prince and the Analog Girl


how do i love thee? let me count the ways
anyone who knows me
anyone who pays attention
they know.

i am a music lover
i love prince
i love erykah badu

these two are my life force
and how ironic, again they are here
at the same time
on the public stage
for me

what is rhon talking about?
in 2004
these two artist saved my sanity
it was the year my mom transcended
and the first year i was unemployed


i had tickets to see erykah months in advance
never thinking my mother dearest would go away

how fitting
erykah was pregnant with puma
her spirit was calm
she rubbed her belly throughout the show
I weeped
the show was the day before mom's funeral
i was thankful for this divine order


it was also the 20th anniversary of purple rain
prince had released musicology
and was a media whore 
and i was loving him on the stroll

grammys, musicology tv specials, 
and the live concert of the first show
of the tour
i experienced them all
and then i had the opportunity to see 
him at madison square garden
god loves me


a couple of months later my cousin 
comes home from nyc
she missed the new york show
she got us floor seats for the indy show
god loves me

it was divine therapy


music heals
they touch me
my musical yin and yang


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE