Skip to main content

Not another diversity training boss man!

 In 1995, I started my work in HIV/AIDS as a volunteer working for Stop AIDS Indiana. From the very start, diverse has been always on the forefront of any training relating to and around doing any sort of HIV work.  So after, many, many years, I'm still having to attend "diversity trainings" to help me become more in tuned with my clients and workplace. 

Makes sense.....

Most diversity or cultural competency trainings....well....suck.  I've only attended one training in my long history of attending these types of trainings that I found effective.  Most are so seeped in stereotypical concepts of cultural and diversity that it could leave any untrained person feeling validated by their opinions of how others think and believe.  I completely understand the purpose of cultural competency training.  These issues need to be discussed in the workplace but there's seems to be a lack of effective trainers on the topic and very few curricula that addresses the issues of cultural competency that develops the capacity of any organization to stronger assess the diversity of their staff, management, etc. 

This won't be the last of the trainings I will attend on the topic but I can't wait for that day when I feel good about spending 16hrs of my time to learn that you need a bilingual staff person if you're serving non-english speaking clients.  WOW..... :/ 



The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect.
It means understanding that each individual is unique,
and recognizing our individual differences.  These can be along
the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs,
political beliefs, or other ideologies.  It is the exploration
of these differences in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment.
It is about understanding each other and moving beyond
simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the
rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE