Skip to main content

Body Image, Body Imagery

This past week was an interesting one.  3 men gave me advice about my body and my Image. I'll admit that sometimes I take what men say about my body with a grain of salt.  Why? Well, I'll just say there are men who like my body just as it is.  They mean no harm but I'm clearly 25lbs over weight and the "thickness" isn't doing me any good.

So what did they say....

One told me to simply take care of myself. He said that I try too hard to take care of others, take care of community work but not myself and it shows. [mouth drops] It shows?  That's deep. I really received the advice well.  I understood what he was saying.

The next one was my ex boyfriend.  This is a person I generally never listen to when it comes to how I look.  I'm not his physical type so whatever he says to me, I feel is always based on some other image in has in his head but this time, good things came from my friend [yes, my friend].  He also told me to take care of myself and also to have confidence in my body even if its not where I want it to be at this point.  He said that confidence is like the jedi mind trick. People see your confidence, not your weight.

The last friend continued the same thing about confidence. He is someone that use to weigh over 400lbs and he talked about how FINE he thought he was then.  [giggle]  He said he had just as many dates as he does at his smaller, current weight. 


God spoke through them.  God has been speaking and talking with a lot recently, not about CWUW or the Kid, but me.  There is this emphasis on me focusing on my life, my happiness.  I'm definitely listening.   I'm taking what I'm teaching women about the 7 Dimensions of Wellness and finally applying it my life.   I have to walk the talk.  I have to BE healthy and not just understand it.

Body Image is one of the many symptoms of Sexism.  Some men truly don't understand the game that is played on us about looking a certain way.  Some can escape it and others, like myself, have had to deal with the negative side of it; having an illness to overcome and fight daily.  My recovery is very active and I remind myself and others around me so they can help me through the insane episodes but I'm overcoming. I'm working with my body even when it works against me  with back spasms and pain.  I know that I will overcome.  I imagine a healthy spirit, then healthy mind, then healthy body which moves into manifestation.


With great appreciation, I love the brothers in my life who love me enough to walk with me through this journey and know I will heed to their words. I love the Human side of me. I'm very much on the same journey with the women I'm serving in the community.




Late 2008
February 2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE