Skip to main content

Standing Tall - All Woman










Working in the health field can be overwhelming being a black woman. You hear the stats that rarely have any good news for black women. HIV, diabetes, lupus, heart disease, breast cancer....and the list goes on and on. Then you have those that tell us that we are the least desired (Black women and Asian men) in the US. Personally, I've always gotten more attention from non-American black men but understand what has happened to the psyche of some of brothers. I can't blame them 100%. But what does all of this do to the mindset of Black women living in the US?

How do we push through the fact that we may end up unmarried, left as single mothers, and have to raise a family financially alone? AND then get blamed for why black children have certain issues? I even had a brotha tell me that me being educated is a part of the problem for black men. (sigh) He said that black women are being used as tools to break down black men because we are being "trained" seek out power positions while brothas are still taking labor jobs. He let me know that I'm partially responsible for the breakdown of the black family. (sigh) All I know is that both myself and my brother didn't have an option but to go to college and to pursue a better life. As much as I understood the brother's frustration and that he probably has come across some sistas that judged his life and employment, I'm not feeling bad for what I've accomplished and what I'm GOING to accomplish.

Daily, I have to affirm that I am made perfect.....that I am beautiful with my dark skin and kinky hair and I can appreciate all beautiful women around me, that I'm a good mother who has raised a child who doesn't have issues with men but knows there are good men out there who love their families, that I can take control of my health and I don't have to be sick and tired all of my days.....I can smile and laugh and love and BE LOVED.

What happens to us when we hear all of these negative things DAILY? Depression, substance use and abuse, promiscuity, bitterness, anger, obesity.....etc....etc......hmmmmm......I charge my sistas to stand tall. I charge my sistas to take part in their healing. I charge take responsibility for their negativity. I charge my sistas to be more than caregivers to their children but RAISE them and reach out to your village, both men and women. I charge my sistas to heal from past hurts so you can love wholeheartedly in the future. I charge my sistas to love one another and let go of jealousy and envy. HEAL.

There is a set up. The system is against us but that doesn't mean I can't work diligently to not be victimized by it. I'm no victim. I'm a survivor.

Stand tall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE