Skip to main content

Conversation with the mirror

Looked in the mirror and allowed her to speak. She noticed how just a glimpse of the sun has already affected my face. She spoke of tired eyes and a worn out dispositon. I told her enough but she quickly hushed me to silence. I listened again. She smiled as she reminded me that I am 40 but no one would know. I grinned. She told me to look at my wide hips, jelly belly and bossom and notice a real woman ....beauty. I giggled.

I wanted to turn away but she said no. My day had been rough. Love sometimes needs to come from within. No need to seek affirmation from others. The mirror said that I need to see the Rhonda God loves and has made perfect. She saw my inner strength blazing through my brown eyes when I could only see as dark circles and aging eyes.

She said to close my eyes and just inhale. Breathe. You are alive and with life there is hope. She told me the embrace my sensuality as a gift to next one who will come to love me. He will be blessed with tender kisses, passion and the fulfillment of his fantasies. I am that woman she said. Love her. Some women want to be what you are. They want to be the mother, temptress, business woman, activist....a woman who so willingly provides love and support to others.

She reminded of my open heart that I've received from my mother. She smiled as she spoke of The Kid. She told me to be proud of the daughter that is at the dawn of womanhood. She said, "good job". My heart was full.

The mirror smiled and I smiled back. She said to enjoy, just simply enjoy whatever, whoever comes. Embrace friendships wholeheartedly. Love without ceasing.

Be authentically Rhonda without apology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE