Skip to main content

My love/hate issues with the return of Britney Spears




Ok. I know some folks are gonna say - who cares right? Well, I do actually. Britney Spears was played in my household when my daughter was a tween and I did pay attention to the demise of Britney. My concern started when she was pregnant with the second child and was conducting an interview with Matt Laurer. I remember having a long convo on prince.org about this interview. The Org was as cruel as usual. They sliced her up from her hair to her clothes to her chipped fingernail polished. Britney looked a hot mess but I kept trying to point out the look in her eyes. Something was wrong. This was more than Britney making bad life decisions. This child was lost.

Britney has the baby and then we see her lose her mind. She starts hanging with Paris, she stops wearing underwear, she stays high, she strips, she cuts her hair, etc. etc. etc. She forgets she's a mother.

What happen? (shrug) I don't know the girl but there was a part of me that understood. I understood her having to lose it. Her life was orchestrated since she was five. Where was her teenage angst? I didn't have my "teenage angst" until I was like 26. I was the good girl no longer wanting to be held to that standard. When I saw the maddness of Britney, I sorta understood it but I knew she needed to stop the maddness as I did. She was a mother and you have to get your shit together for them. Young mothers don't get to be foolish. We are handle to the same standards as if you are older and seemingly more mature. Brit needed to stop it.

So it seems she got help. Her dad stepped in and now we have Britney back. Do we want her back performing? I wanted her back to be a good mother to the babies NOT to make appearances on MTV, to be given undue awards and make a docu -bull -mentary about her life. Huh? Didn't her downfall make her stop and say, "I still need time away to get with my kids."

Guess not. MTV has the red carpet out for her and others like Paris. If my daughter makes a mistake, I do want her to know she can get back on her feet but it needs to be in all humility. She needs to acknowledge the crap she was in and be changed. America rewards bad behavior way too much. I'm tired of America loving these idiot starlets. It needs to stop. These young women do not need to be celebrated nor admired. Our children believe that their behaviors, no matter good or bad, needs to be admired. I've witnessed kids doing the worse behavior still expecting to be patted on their backs for doing nothing.

Britney doesn't deserve the spot she's been given recently. She needs to be forced to fight her way back. And even though she is completely naked in her new video, (rollin' eyes), I do hope she's learned something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE