Skip to main content

How did we get here? Alicia and Swizz

I like Alicia Keys.  I do think she's a talented young woman. I don't have much to say about Swizz beatz.  I'm sure he's talented as well. [kanye shrug]


Ok. That part is done.

Lately, there's a lot of online and well, offline murmuring about their relationship and pregnancy. I will say, this isn't about throwing stones because I would be the first to get rocked out by some stones but learning how to be humble when making unpopular life choices.
The public has weighed in.  He was married. It is what it is. She decided to be with him.  He decided to move onto a relationship before rightfully ending another one.  There it is but now, what we see is a couple who are very proud of their relationship and baby on the way.  Should they be so PUBLICLY PROUD?


Maybe I'm old fashion on some levels. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I wasn't proud.  I rarely left the house.  Even though I had so much support from family and friends, I knew it wasn't appropriate to boaster about being a 22 year old unwed mother.  The baby was a blessing but the situation was not.  I guess this really came to mind after watching Alicia on the BET awards.  They were very proud of their relationships and she was very proud of showing her very pregnant belly.  This isn't to say she shouldn't have performed but where was the humility.  Being an adult does mean you make the best decisions for yourself but it also means you understand the consequences and yes the image you're putting out there.  We live in a time when NO one wants to be a role model because they don't want the responsibility.  Maybe we are to just leave it at the music they produce and stay out of it but its hard when Alicia is rolling around on a piano, not to be reminded of their "situation".   Swizz Beatz himself having harsh words for his WIFE is another sad thing about this situation. Why not just leave prior to developing a new relationship? What are you teaching your son by showing no respect for his mother? [sigh]




There really isn't anything wrong with being humble especially when your life is on display. I hope their love is lasting, the baby is healthy, and their careers remain successful. Just more life lessons.

Its ok to remove yourself from the spotlight and recover from messy decisions.


and yeah.....judge ye not. hmmm.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE