Skip to main content

The Beauty of the Kid

Sometimes you really don't see why you go through some of the trials you do then you see it, clearly

Lately, I'm seeing the other purpose for my Valley a few years ago. I knew it was about my own growth and I embraced the journey and walked through my darkest time knowing that God had my hand. At the same time, I felt like I had Syd's hand but I think she was holding God's hand as well.

She was 13 when her grandmother died and her mother lost her job and went through the most trying time. Syd NEVER complained. She never pulled a "why is this happening to me?" She stood right by my side and we made it through.

I'm still seeing the positive effects of those times on my kid.

Anything negative or hard comes her way, Syd is quick to KNOW everything will be fine. She finds the good in it. She will remind me that there is a reason for the situation and that we will be fine. How many of us would have loved to learn that lesson at 18 instead of later in life? God was working on BOTH of us. He has made Syd a strong young woman. She has made her a grateful young woman. I'm proud of her. She is very much a teenager (Lawd) but when times are rough, Syd steps up. No complaining.

I really love my daughter very much. I'm always so grateful that she's the child I've gotten to have stewardship over. God reminds me all the time that she is very much HIS child as much as I like to claim her as solely mine. I enjoy listening to her figure out her world and plan her next steps. She recently gave me the most incredible compliment. She was working on the computer and I told her she was a great kid and will make a great woman. She didn't even turn around and said, "I'm just trying to be half the woman you are mom. You are the greatest woman I know." I was like Wha? ME? (cry, cry, tear, tear)

Times have been hitting us a little hard recently but we've been here. We make a plan and work it as a team. She is ready for the next phase of her life and I'm confident that she will enter it with grace. God bless her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE