Skip to main content

Respectable Neglect

Its been a minute when I felt the need to hear the dial tone. I generally hang in for the ride, the bullshit conversation, the attempt at debate but this was just too much for my sensibilities to handle.

I should have known when he first said that Black women never experience sexism that I should lose his number but I was up for debate. I had to remind him that even in the black community under jim crow, a black husband could beat the crap out of his wife. Police would do nothing. I had to remind him that even though state loopholes and clauses kept black men from voting, they technically had the right to vote before black women.
When I mentioned the control, he quickly said, "Black men have no power so they can't 'control' black women therefore there is no sexism". I asked him if he ever heard of the saying, "Everyone has their nigger". I had to explain that we ALL exert some form of power over whatever situation we are in.

He then said that he hates that black women try to use "the strippe"r as a means to prove sexism in the community. He stated that its a "legitimate way to make money for black women". I asked if he would complain if the local strip club came to your daughters' school on career day. He said, "Hell naw!" :/ I asked why not. He got quiet. Its a legitimate way for black women to make money so why are you daughters above making money by shaking their asses? So we've reduced our sisters to stripping? No sexism there. (I know strippers. I know prostitutes. There is a power play in the sex industry that is abusive. Seen both sides.)

I just shook my head but I continued to take with this dude.

The final straw when he told me that children need to RESPECT and HONOR a parent who has neglected them all of their lives. He even quoted the bible. :/ "Honor thy Mother and thy Father". I simply said and God also said don't be a fool either.
This dude went on a roll about no matter the situation a children MUST respect the neglectful parent. I said...neglect is abuse so you're saying a child MUST respect an abusive parent. His reply, "YES!" That parent DESERVES the respect of that child because they share the same blood.

I said ok, enough.

Peace.

*click*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Recovering Misogynist" by Kevin Powell

In the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to have very brief conversations with Kevin Powell. Its very interesting to speak with someone with similar passions for community service. As someone who has been very transparent on her blog, I find this essay by Kevin refreshing. I just happen to see this on Facebook as someone posted it many months ago. Thanks KP. I AM A SEXIST MALE. I take no great pride in saying this, I am merely stating a fact. It is not that I was born this way-rather, I was born into this male-dominated society, and consequently, from the very moment I began forming thoughts, they formed in a decidedly male-centered way. My "education" at home with my mother, at school, on my neighborhood playgrounds, and at church, all placed males in the middle of the universe. My digestion of the 1970s American popular culture in the form of television, film, ads, and music only added to my training, so that by as early as age nine or ten I saw females, includ

If I was your girlfriend

Yeah, another Prince discussion. This man has saved my soul through the years. A follow Prince fan always refers to Prince as the ultimate "pimp". He speaks of how smooooooth Prince is lyrically. I came across the video for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," taken from the Sign of the times film. I started gigglin'. Prince IS a pimp. So clever. Witty. Smooth. Just runnin' game but damn, I'd fall for it. The title alone would get me..... IF I WAS UR GIRLFRIEND - PRINCE